Extension of the Scope of the Safety Directive-016
Carbon Crossbeam Check on Aeros Combat Hang Gliders Produced in 2010 - 2013
August 16, 2013
Based on the in-depth study of the problem we have decided to extend the scope of the Safety Directive-016 dd. August 12, 2013 and to arrange immediate re-testing of all the carbon crossbeams on Combat gliders produced since January 2010 to date. Combat gliders produced between January 2007 and January 2010 are not within the scope of the Safety Directive-016. However, Aeros recommends to check the crossbeam in the same manner at the next detailed glider check-up according to the glider maintenance schedule.
The infrequent manufacturing defect referred to in the Safety Directive-016 is displacement of a carbon fabric layer while the crossbeam preform is compressed in the course of production process. This can result in a weak line forming along the crossbeam wall. And this is exactly what happened on both crossbeams that failed.
After the numerous factory tests Aeros has developed the method of revealing such defects. Please, contact an Aeros dealer nearest to you to have the crossbeam checked.
Hence, the scope of the Safety Directive-016 is extended to cover all Combat hang gliders produced since January 2010 to date, with the range starting from
- from serial # 031.10, sail # 4492, produced in April 2010
- to serial # 062.12, sail # 5338, produced in December 2012
- from serial # 031.12, sail # 5158, produced in June 2012
- to serial # 010.13, sail # 5469, produced in April 2013
- from serial # 095.09, sail # 4397, produced in January 2010
- to serial # 015.13, sail # 5444, produced in April 2013
- from serial # 008.10, sail # 4434, produced in April 2010
- to serial # 029.12, sail # 5148, produced in May 2012
- from serial # 063.10, sail # 4625, produced in 2010
- to serial # 024.13, sail # 5508, produced in July 2013
- from serial # 099.09, sail # 4405, produced in February 2010
- to serial # 026.13, sail # 5518, produced in July 2013.
- from serial # 009.11, sail # 4765, produced in March 2011
- to serial # 004.13, sail # 5377, produced in March 2013
According to the Directive, the crossbeam on these gliders is to be checked and tested before the next flight!
For other Combat hang gliders with the round crossbeam produced from January 2007 till December 2009 inclusive it is recommended to have the crossbeam checked and tested during the next detailed glider check-up according to the normal maintenance schedule.